Monday, October 26, 2009

A Special Visitor


http://newsroom.lds.org.


We had the pleasure to hear from Elder Dallin H. Oaks and Elder Merill from the seventy yesterday. We were so excited to go that we got there at 8:30 in the morning and it started at 10:00. boy were we glad that we got there early because by 9 the place was filled. We got some great seats are also got to shake hand with both men. When Elder Oaks came up keoki's face lit up and he took ahold of his pinkie finger and wouldn't let go!!! I was very sweet and spiritual at the same time because I think Keoki knew that there was something very special about him. Elder Oaks just has a wonderful spirit about him and he has soft hands. :)
Brother Baxter from our stake presidency spoke first and he said something that I felt was so important. He was talking about a training that he had gone to and this was the quote " Am I foolish for following Christ by the worlds standards or am I wise with the flesh." Which side would you much rather be on? I much rather follow Christ!
Elder Merill spoke a lot about missionary work and that all of us is a missionary. Missionaries can't do it alone!
Elder Oaks told us the reason why he was there. The last time that an apostle has been to the Bothell stake (the one we are in). this was in 1977! 32 years ago. He thought it was time for an apostle. He also explained other reasons for coming like getting together with 10 stakes for a conference.
these are some of my notes from his talk
-Mantle of the prophet, it is like a covering. he demonstrated with a young man. he put his coat jacket on and it didn't fit him.
-Every position in this church puts on a mantle. it will be a big at first but you will grow into it. He said with his calling that it is so big that he will spend the rest of his life growing into it!
-He told a couple of stories about dating vs. "Hanging out" He said that "we are here for a purpose. we need to stop hanging out and start dating!" I think he was kind of joking. :)
- this quote stuck with me "One sentence sermon, will everyone stand that has a missionary responsibility in this church. " meaning that all of us has a missionary responsibility. this goes along with Elder Merill's talk.
-He also spoke about the trails that people of the church as facing. he said this "He will reply to your question in his own time and in his own way!"

I've had to learn that the hard way...but I think I'm getting better at being patient and waiting for an answer.

There were more things he said but by this time Keoki was coming apart and kept saying he wanted to go. I am so grateful for the opportunity to listen to one of the lords special witness of him. The spirit was so strong and I know that it will continue to be felt. He left a lasting impression! What a wonderful day it was!

1 comment:

  1. Thats awesome you got to shake hands! Elder Eyring and Elder Ballard came here! WE got there a little later than we should have (even though the place is right by our house)and had to sit behind the speakers near the choir, but way up high. It was really hard for us to hear, but I don't know if it was the noisy kids around us, or if the speakers in that direction was out. No one got to shake their hands either. Oh well, still glad we went in person!

    ReplyDelete